MSNBC’s Joy Reid is attempting to have attorney Lin Wood disqualified from a high profile defamation case.
Reid previous tried to have Wood removed from the case, but Wood was given “the go-ahead” to proceed with the case.
Now, Reid’s attorney has filed a motion to revoke that permission.
Because of Wood’s tweets about Pence, Justice Roberts, and the 2020 election.
But Wood is not backing down.
He says that he is prepared to present his evidence in court, if necessary.
More details below:
Joy Reid is getting sued. I don’t have to look at the complaint to know it’s due to defamation. The plaintiff is represented by Lin Wood. Her representation is trying to get Lin thrown off the case as unfit to practice law on the basis of saying he has evidence Mike Pence is a
— Robert Brack (@robertbrack) February 10, 2021
Why is Joy Reid being sued?
— Cari Abreu (@GoddessOfCool) February 10, 2021
Lin Wood challenges @JoyAnnReid defamation motion to remove as pro hac vice by submitting sworn affidavit to the court that he submitted evidence to DOJ federal law enforcement on Empereor Pence & John Roberts. Joy gets to depose, now?https://t.co/Ccp5SKzTIH
— Beverly Tran (@beverlytran) February 12, 2021
traitor. Lin has offered the evidence of Mike Pence being a traitor that he’s previously given to the Secret Service to Newsweek and the court. Newsweek looks like it wants to join Joy Reid as being on the wrong end of a defamation law suit by Lin Wood. https://t.co/6NGvXGZcKU.
— Robert Brack (@robertbrack) February 10, 2021
The news that Wood was given the “go-ahead” comes from Law and Crime:
High-profile attorney L. Lin Wood says he has “evidence” that former vice president Mike Pence is “a traitor.” Wood also claims to have “information about the death of Seth Rich.”
The statements were made under oath in a Tuesday court filing submitted with the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York. Wood is currently fighting back against a defendant’s effort to have him booted from a high-profile defamation case.
The defendant is MSNBC anchor Joy Reid who was originally sued by Wood’s client Roslyn La Liberte for defamation in 2018.
In a recent filing, Reid’s attorney John Reichman moved to have Wood’s pro hac vice status revoked.
Wood is a member of the State Bar of Georgia and is not licensed to practice law in the State of New York. Attorneys in the United States frequently filing motions to—and are frequently allowed to—represent clients in different jurisdictions by filing for pro hac vice or “this occasion only” passes. Without cause to deny any such request, most courts sign off on those asks without much fanfare or attention.
Wood was previously given the go-ahead for La Liberte’s still-pending case. Reichman wants Wood’s permission taken back.
Reid’s attorney recently filed a motion to revoke that pro hac vice admission based on alleged misconduct including a series of eyebrow-raising statements made by Wood ahead of Jan. 6 and over the past several months. In January, a Delaware judge revoked a prior order that had allowed Wood to represent Carter Page in a lawsuit. The Georgia State Bar also has its eye on Wood.
Many of the statements in question concern Wood’s belief that the 2020 presidential election was somehow compromised. In Reid’s motion to disqualify, however, her attorney said those statements had gone beyond mere hyperbole.
“Wood has traveled far beyond that [First Amendment] boundary, encouraging the siege on the Capitol to thwart the vote count, falsely attacking the Chief Justice and the judicial system, filing frivolous lawsuits, and violating with impunity the rules of the legal profession,” Reichman alleged. “This Court should revoke his pro hac vice status to protect the rule of law and the public’s confidence in it.”
Specifically, Wood claimed after the election that, months before the election, Chief Justice John Roberts called then-president Trump a “motherfucker” during an overheard phone call.
“This may be most important tweet of my life,” Wood said on his since-suspended Twitter account at the time.
To date, Roberts has not responded to any of Wood’s allegations, something the pro-Trump “Kraken” attorney focused on in his response to the Reichman filing.
“My posts are protected speech and I have credible whistleblower evidence to support the truth of my statements,” Wood averred. “I have not received a retraction demand from Justice Roberts or his counsel and he has not made any claim to date that my posts are false and defamatory.”
Pence also plays a recurring role in both of the aforementioned filings.
To hear Reichman tell it, Wood called for “the arrest and assassination of then-Vice President Mike Pence” and “tweeted that Vice President Pence should face arrest and ‘execution by firing squad.’” Reichman also notes that Wood repeatedly referred to Pence as a traitor.
Wood disputes the first allegation—saying that he was simply using protected rhetorical and political hyperbole to criticize Pence. As for the notion that Pence is a traitor? Wood does not disagree with the characterization there.
“I have credible evidence to support the truth of my description of Former Vice-President Pence as a traitor,” the motion in opposition alleges.
“I have turned over whistleblower evidence to the United States Secret Service related to Former Vice-President Mike Pence and other high-ranking government officials,” the motion goes on. “If desired by this Court, I am prepared to file that evidence along with a considerable amount of evidence of election fraud. I am not doing so at this time as I do not believe those issues are relevant to the present motion which I believe is nothing more than an effort to smear my reputation and interfere with Plaintiff’s Constitutional right to counsel of her choice.”
We don’t know about you, but if this truly ends up going to court, we’ll be interested to see what Wood presents!
So far, he has made many bombshell claims.
However, if he indeed has the evidence, he has been keeping it close to his chest.
Perhaps he wants to wait until a proper legal forum to present the evidence?
Time will tell!
Does Lin Wood count?
— Ari (@AriStranzl) February 9, 2021
Reid is still attempting to have Wood removed from the case.
If he really is as “crazy” as she believes he is, then why is she afraid to have him involved?
The Hollywood Reporter confirms Reid’s dilemma:
The MSNBC host asks a judge to revoke the Trump-supporting lawyer’s admission in a New York federal court.
Joy Reid is using her position as a defendant in an ongoing libel case to do something about L. Lin Wood, the conservative lawyer who has spent the last couple of months attempting to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election. On Monday, the MSNBC host filed a motion to have Wood’s pro hac vice admission revoked in New York.
As a Georgia-based attorney, Wood needs a judge’s permission when appearing around the nation in districts where he is not admitted to practice law. For decades, Wood has done so and has become an attorney who has famously represented notable plaintiffs in defamation cases against big news outlets. He once represented Richard Jewell for being accused of bombing the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. More recently, he represented Nicholas Sandmann over stories about a 2019 incident at the Lincoln Memorial, although the Kentucky teen recently fired Wood.
Against Reid, Wood has been pursuing a case on behalf of a Trump supporter named Roslyn La Liberte. Reid was hauled into court after making comments on social media in reaction to a photograph that was posted. Last year, the suit was revived by the 2nd Circuit — and it’s.a decision that has big implications for media outlets facing libel actions in federal court.
Now back at the trial level, Reid’s own attorneys are pointing to Wood’s recent activity as cause for booting him. The court filing describes how he has “sought to subvert the constitution and rule of law” by “urging the imposition of martial law, making false statements about election results, encouraging the siege of the United States Capitol, and even calling for the arrest and assassination of then-Vice President Mike Pence.”
Reid also alleges that Wood has filed five frivolous lawsuits related to the last election in violation of attorney ethical rules and has made false statements in this very case on a conference call to discuss recent events.
While it’s rare for a judge to revoke one’s pro has vice admission, Wood recently was booted off a case in Delaware. Wood had no comment about the development other than to promise he’d be filing a reply brief soon.
Anything can happen.
We’ve seen Cancel Culture in full force in 2021.
But we still hope that Wood will be allowed in court to fight for his client.
We will continue to keep you updated on this developing story.