Skip to main content may receive compensation from affiliate partners for some links on the site. Read our full Disclosure here.

Police Officer Dies After Being Shot In The Head In St. Louis


Such a tragic weekend in St. Luis, Missouri.

And people are really protesting to have the police forces defunded?

What planet does this make sense on?

Not this one, for sure.

I could go on for hours listing the reasons….

But right now, let’s focus on this horrible tragedy of a young officer who has just passed away after being shot on duty. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

6 ABC Action News reports: 

A St. Louis police officer who was shot in the head while responding to a shooting on the city's south side died Sunday, authorities said.

Officer Tamarris L. Bohannon, 29, had been with the department for 3 1/2 years.

A second officer who was shot in the leg was treated and released after the shooting around 6 p.m. in the South Grand neighborhood near Tower Grove Park, St. Louis Police Department spokeswoman Officer Michelle Woodling said.

Woodling said the second officer is 30 and has been on the force about six months. The 43-year-old suspect was taken into custody Sunday morning, Woodling said.

Mayor Lyda Krewson said in a statement Sunday night that she was "heartbroken" at Bohannon's death. "I've had the privilege of spending some time with his family under these extraordinarily challenging circumstances. They're wonderful people and immensely proud of the way he selflessly served and protected our community with distinction and honor for more than three years."

CNNalso shared more news on the story: 

Bohannon was critically injured Saturday while responding to a call of a shooting. The officer was searching for a shooting victim before being shot in the head, St. Louis Police Commissioner Col. John Hayden Jr. said. A second officer was wounded in the leg.
The suspect was taken into custody after a 12-hour standoff.

"This is our eighth officer shot in the line of duty, trying to do the job, that's all they're trying to do," Hayden said. "And they're, they're suffering under gunfire."

The New York Post shared that they had a suspect in the shooting: 

The 43-year-old suspected gunman was taken into custody at about 5:30 a.m. Sunday after barricading himself inside a home for nearly 12 hours, authorities said.

St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department Chief John Hayden said eight of his officers have been shot in the line of duty since June 1.

“We’re trying to cope through a very trying summer, and it’s very difficult. It’s very difficult,” he said.

Fox News shared more on the shooter and the situation: 

Missouri Gov. Mark Parson said both he and his wife Teresa were "deeply saddened to hear of the loss of one of our Officers."

"Officers across Missouri protect us every day without hesitation and they and their families deserve our support. #BacktheBlue" he wrote on Twitter Sunday night.

Police have yet to release details on how the standoff came to an end. They ordered the suspect out and fired tear gas into the barricaded house, but no gunshots were fired, the department said.

Homeowners Mimi and Steve Haag said they were trying to call 911 to help another man who had been shot when the gunman just walked into their home.

“I saw then he had a gun,” Steve Haag told the paper. “He was very calm standing there with it in his hand and he just says to Mimi: ‘Ma’am you need to get off the phone.’”

The Haags escaped through the back door and were unhurt in their encounter with the gunman. Police were unable to locate the other man who was apparently shot and wounded.

Bohannon is survived by a wife, Alexis, and three children. Following his death, [Mayor] Krewson said she spent time with his family, "under these extraordinarily challenging circumstances."


Join the conversation!

Please share your thoughts about this article below. We value your opinions, and would love to see you add to the discussion!

We Love Trump
Thanks for sharing!