Since this past Sunday evening, civil unrest has been running on an all time high on the streets of Chicago.
Now, like the moat surrounding the castle, the bridges over the Chicago River have been raised, parts of highways and other major interstates closed off and a heavily restricted access have been put in force for downtown Chago to try and prevent more rioting.
Fox News with more on the story:
The unrest was prompted by a social media post urging people to converge on Chicago’s business district after police shot a man on the South Side around 2:30 p.m. Sunday.
A pedestrian walks across Michigan Ave., Monday, Aug. 10, 2020, past a Chicago police department vehicle, a few blocks north of the raised Michigan Ave. bridge over the Chicago river after overnight vandalism in Chicago.
A pedestrian walks across Michigan Ave., Monday, Aug. 10, 2020, past a Chicago police department vehicle, a few blocks north of the raised Michigan Ave. bridge over the Chicago river after overnight vandalism in Chicago. (AP)
Officers had been responding to a call about a person with a gun in the Englewood neighborhood and tried to confront someone matching the description in an alley. The man fled from officers on foot and shot at them, police said.
A video posted on Facebook around 6:30 p.m. falsely claimed that officers had shot and killed a 15-year-old boy. The video shows upset residents confronting officers near the scene where officers shot and wounded an adult suspect who they said had fired at them.
The suspect was taken to a hospital for treatment and was expected to recover. Three officers were also taken to a hospital for observation.
And from Local ABC Eyewitness News:
Many businesses in the area had just reopened weeks after several stores and buildings were vandalized in the looting that followed the protests over the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis.
All bridges over the Chicago River were raised in the early morning hours Monday to divert traffic as police attempted to control crowds entering the area.