The Department of Justice continues to play games…
President Trump has repeatedly requested a special master to oversee the Department of Justice’s review of the allegedly classified and critical documents which the F.B.I. seized.
Recently, the DOJ indicated that it was comfortable with his pick for a special master and they even suggested their own picks for this necessary role.
Fast forward to today, and officials for the agency are adamant about keeping 100 documents that they confiscated during the Mar-A-Lago raid—filing a motion for a stay of the special master request.
Here’s what we currently know:
Lawyers for the Department of Justice (#DOJ) filed a new motion that again seeks a stay in a judge’s order appointing a #SpecialMaster to review documents that were seized during last month’s #FBI raid targeting former President Donald #Trump’s residence.https://t.co/6lNLEllyDf
— NTD News (@news_ntd) September 14, 2022
"The ball is now in Trump's court, after Judge Aileen Cannon last night asked Trump's lawyers to respond to DOJ's request that investigators regain access to 100 classified documents found in the search of Mar-a-Lago" – @NicolleDWallace pic.twitter.com/gGXFIHKqFq
— Deadline White House (@DeadlineWH) September 9, 2022
According to The Epoch Times:
“These records are at the core of the government’s investigation, and the government’s inability to review and use them significantly constrains its investigation,” the DOJ wrote to Judge Aileen Cannon, a Trump appointee.
“The compelled disclosure of records marked as classified to a special master further harms the Executive Branch’s interest in limiting access to such materials absent any valid purpose served by their review.”
Attorneys for former Pres. Trump argued a federal judge should not allow the DOJ to hold on to 100 classified documents it seized at Mar-A-Lago and not turn them over to a third-party “special master." pic.twitter.com/9qLvCmSOHD
— Forbes (@Forbes) September 12, 2022
Trump’s attorneys told a judge they oppose the DOJ’s request to continue to use documents with classified markings seized from the former president’s Mar-a-Lago estate as part of its investigation https://t.co/tzGaovjO26
— Bloomberg Politics (@bpolitics) September 12, 2022
Conservative Brief provided more details:
The Department of Justice said it “seeks a limited but critical stay,” to “a discrete set of just over 100 records marked as classified” and “whose unauthorized retention may constitute a crime.”
It said that the records it wants to review have markings that show that unauthorized disclosure “reasonably could be expected to result in damage to the national security,” including “exceptionally grave damage