Skip to main content
29) { ?>
We may receive compensation from affiliate partners for some links on this site. Read our full Disclosure here.

UPDATE: Suspect in Shooting at Cincinnati FBI Field Office Reportedly DEAD


An armed individual reportedly tried to breach the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s building in Cincinnati, Ohio, early on Thursday before fleeing, the FBI said, calling it a “critical incident.”

The assailant reportedly fled after multiple shots were fired, according to reports.

The armed gunman reportedly got into a shootout with law enforcement in a corn field outside of the city.


The standoff with the armed suspect reportedly ended Thursday afternoon in a cornfield.

WTHI-TV reported:

A law enforcement standoff with a suspect who authorities say attempted to breach the FBI’s field office in Cincinnati on Thursday has ended, according to Clinton County Emergency Management Agency.

Officials gave no additional details on how the standoff ended or details on the suspect’s condition. The standoff followed a chase with the suspect.

An armed man tried to enter the FBI office in Cincinnati Thursday morning around 9:15 a.m. ET, Lt. Nathan Dennis, a spokesperson for the Ohio State Highway Patrol, said in a news conference. The suspect was unsuccessful, however, and fled the area.

An Ohio state trooper spotted the suspect’s vehicle at a northbound rest stop along Interstate 71 about 20 minutes after the attempted breach, Dennis said, and tried to initiate a traffic stop before the suspect fled.

“The suspect vehicle did fire shots during that pursuit,” Dennis said. The suspect then exited onto State Route 73 and traveled east to Smith Road, where he headed north before eventually coming to a stop.

“Gunfire was exchanged between officers on scene and the suspect,” Dennis said, adding the situation remains contained to a specific area and there is no risk to the public outside the immediate area.

At the time of the news conference, no officers had been injured, Dennis said. He declined to answer questions about whether the suspect had been positively identified or injured in the standoff with authorities.

NBC News reported the suspect is dead.

The suspect reportedly had an AR15 and body armor but fired a nail gun at FBI personnel.

The suspect fired shots during the pursuit.

The Daily Beast added:

The gunman, who has not been identified, fled over 40 miles northeast with the Ohio State Patrol giving chase after he failed to breach the federal building around 9 a.m. As he fled, authorities say gunfire was exchanged between officers and the suspect, who took cover in a cornfield for more than five hours.

While the standoff is over, authorities have not said whether the gunman was arrested or killed. The announcement to lift all lockdown recommendations came at 4:25 p.m. from Clinton County Emergency Management.

As cops chased the gunman through the rural community of Wilmington, the county’s emergency management agency told residents within a one-mile radius to stay inside, lock their doors, and “remain vigilant.” The gunman was described as armed, wearing a gray shirt and body armor.

NewsNation provided additional coverage:

29) { ?>


Join the conversation!

Please share your thoughts about this article below. We value your opinions, and would love to see you add to the discussion!

29) { ?>

Hey, Noah here!

Wondering where we went?

Read this and bookmark our new site!

See you over there!

Thanks for sharing!