Puerto Rican singer-songwriter Ricky Martin could be facing 50 years in prison following allegations of domestic violence and “incest charges.”
It was revealed two weeks ago that a judge in Puerto Rico issued a “domestic violence-related” restraining order against the Latin pop icon.
The alleged victim’s name was not previously disclosed.
However, the latest updates revealed the individual who accused Martin of domestic violence was the singer’s own nephew, 21-year-old Dennis Yadiel Sanchez.
BREAKING NEWS: Puerto Rican singer-songwriter Ricky Martin could be facing 50 years in prison following domestic violence allegations reportedly filed by his 21-year-old nephew.
— DailyNoah.com (@DailyNoahNews) July 16, 2022
Ricky Martin is reportedly facing 50 years behind bars in his domestic violence case, where the alleged victim is his 21-year-old nephew. https://t.co/bM15A0FOQP
— TMZ (@TMZ) July 15, 2022
The revelations would introduce incest into the case in Puerto Rico.
The New York Post explained:
Under Puerto Rico’s laws for “incest charges,” the sentence Martin, 50, could face is five decades in prison if the shocking claims are true. The publication reported the complaint was made anonymously under Law 54, known as the Domestic Abuse Prevention and Intervention Act.
El Vocero, a Puerto Rico newspaper, reported that the order states Martin and the person who filed the complaint dated for seven months. The alleged victim claimed that Martin didn’t take their break up well and has loitered near the petitioner’s home at least three times, according to the report.
Ricky Martin’s attorney, Marty Singer, told TMZ: “Unfortunately, the person who made this claim is struggling with deep mental health challenges. Ricky Martin has, of course, never been – and would never be – involved in any kind of sexual or romantic relationship with his nephew.”
“The idea is not only untrue, it is disgusting. We all hope that this man gets the help he so urgently needs. But, most of all, we look forward to this awful case being dismissed as soon as a judge gets to look at the facts,” he added.
While speaking with the Associated Press earlier this month, a spokesperson for the Puerto Rican police, Axel Valencia said that officers were unable to locate Martin, but noted that the restraining order would prohibit Martin from contacting the individual who filed it.
Shortly after news of the restraining order broke, Martin issued a statement on Twitter, disputing the allegations.
“The protection order entered against me is based on completely false allegations, so I will respond through the judicial process with the facts and dignity that characterize me,” Martin said in the statement. “Because it is an ongoing legal matter, I cannot make detailed statements at this time. I am grateful for the countless messages of solidarity, and I receive them with all my heart.”
— Ricky Martin (@ricky_martin) July 4, 2022
Representatives for Martin issued a similar statement to the Associated Press, which said, “We are very confident that when the true facts come out in this matter our client Ricky Martin will be fully vindicated.”
Martin’s brother, Eric, revealed that it was the singer’s nephew who filed the restraining order against him, according to El Vocero.
“Something is telling me that I have to speak, because I am not afraid to speak, or anything. I am not afraid and I do not have to hide anything,” Martin’s brother said in a video while speaking about the restraining order, according to El Vocero.