Skip to main content
We may receive compensation from affiliate partners for some links on this site. Read our full Disclosure here.

Peaceful Jan 6th Protestor Commits Suicide, Family Says He Died of “a Broken Heart”


One of the peaceful protestors who was ushered in by Capitol police into the Capitol building on January 6th of last year has tragically taken his own life.

According to his family, Matthew Perna peacefully entered the building through an open door with other protestors on that day.

He walked around for roughly 20 minutes, and then peacefully exited the building.

A few weeks later, Matthew saw his own image on the FBI’s most wanted list.

He promptly called the local FBI office and turned himself in for questioning.

Matthew was arrested on January 18.

From there, he was indicted by a Grand Jury on 4 counts, including obstruction and trespassing misdemeanors.

The Biden Administration’s crackdown on anyone involved in the Jan 6 protests made life miserable for Matthew.

False accusations of domestic terrorism, along with members of his own community turning on him, led to what Matthew’s family described as “a broken heart.”

Matthew tragically ended his own life on February 25.

The Epoch Times reports on this tragic story:

Matthew L. Perna, a Pennsylvania man prosecuted for his 20-minute walk through the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, took his own life on Feb. 25 due to “a broken heart” and a justice system that “killed his spirit and his zest for life,” his family said.

Perna, 37, of Sharpsville, was due to be sentenced on March 3 in the U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., in a plea agreement on charges of obstruction of an official proceeding, aiding and abetting, entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds, disorderly and disruptive conduct in a restricted building or grounds, and disorderly conduct in a Capitol building. One charge is a felony and the others are misdemeanors.

Perna learned that prosecutors would seek an even longer jail sentence based on “domestic terrorism deterrence,” Julie Kelly of American Greatness wrote on Twitter on Sunday night.

“His community (which he loved), his country, and the justice system killed his spirit and his zest for life,” his online obituary reads.

“He didn’t break, touch, or steal anything. He did not harm anyone, as he stayed within the velvet ropes taking pictures,” the obituary said. “For this act, he has been persecuted by many members of his community, friends, relatives, and people who had never met him.

Here’s more from WKBN:

Investigators said Perna remained inside the Capitol building for 20 minutes while he filmed and posted to social media video of the riot.

Investigators said Perna admitted to being inside the Capitol but said he was pushed inside by the group. He said he had been at the top of the stairs and was surprised that the door was open.

In an online obituary, the indictment and subsequent persecution of Perna are blamed for his death saying that “his community (which he loved), his country, and the justice system killed his spirit and his zest for life:”

Over a year removed from the Capital protests, so many innocent lives have been lost or ruined.

Many are still wondering why the Biden Administration and the Justice Department have not yet been held accountable for the treatment of peaceful freedom loving Americans..

God be with Matthew’s family and loved ones during these difficult times.


Join the conversation!

Please share your thoughts about this article below. We value your opinions, and would love to see you add to the discussion!

Hey, Noah here!

Wondering where we went?

Read this and bookmark our new site!

See you over there!

Thanks for sharing!