Skip to main content may receive compensation from affiliate partners for some links on the site. Read our full Disclosure here.

Capital Under Lockdown After Man Rams Vehicle Through Police Barrier, One Officer pronounced Dead

One officer is dead, and a second was injured.


Breaking news from outside the U.S. Capitol, as at least one police officer has been pronounced dead and another injured after a man allegedly rammed through a police barrier with a vehicle. 

The Capitol was immediately put under lockdown following the incident.

The suspect has been identified as Noah Green, a 25-year old male from Indiana.

It is believed that the suspect acted alone.

The acting police chief confirmed the officer’s death.

Nancy Pelosi has ordered that flags outside the Capitol be lowered to half-staff.

Fox News has the breaking news:

The United States Capitol was locked down on Friday due to an "exterior security threat" after a car rammed into a barrier on the Senate side of the complex. One officer died and another was injured, according to United States Capitol Police (USCP), who said the suspect was killed by police after he exited his navy sedan and attacked them with a knife.

Fox News was told by security officials that the incident was believed to be a "lone wolf" attack.

The suspect, Noah Green, 25, was from Indiana and also had ties to Virginia.

Metropolitan Police Department Acting Chief Robert Contee said in a briefing the attack did not appear to be terrorism-related and the man had no known connection to a member of Congress. The suspect was not known to police.

The officer who died was identified as William "Billy" Evans.

Acting USCP Chief Yogananda Pittman said the suspect had exited the car, knife in hand, and "lunged toward" Capitol Police.

"Due to an exterior security threat, no entry or exit is permitted at this time in any building in the Capitol complex," a voice announcement throughout the complex sounded earlier Friday afternoon.

"You may move around the buildings but stay away from exterior windows and doors," it also said.

The lockdown has since been lifted.

USCP said the suspect and two injured officers were taken to the hospital, before the suspect and one officer succumbed to injuries.

"This has been an extremely difficult time for US Capitol Police after the events of January 6, and now the events that have occurred here today. So, I ask that you keep our US Capitol Police family in your thoughts and prayers," Pittman said. One police officer died as a result of the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, and two subsequently died of suicide after the attack.

U.S. Capitol Police Just Released This Statement

Several vidoes have surfaced on Twitter showing reinforcements arriving at the Capitol.

CNN has more:

CNN has confirmed that the FBI Washington Field Office is providing support to the Capitol Police.

The incident comes as the security situation on Capitol Hill remains top of mind for many lawmakers despite a recent ramping down of some additional protective measures that were put into place after the January 6 insurrection.

Barbed wire fencing that surrounded the Capitol complex for months after pro-Trump rioters stormed the building has since come down and thousands of the National Guard troops who were deployed in response to the insurrection have since returned home, though thousands still remain in Washington due to lingering security concerns.

The National Guard was seen responding to Friday's attack, and later confirmed it had been deployed to the Capitol.

"The DC National Guard deployed a Immediate Response Force (IRF) composed of National Guard soldiers and airmen to the Capitol complex this afternoon to support the U.S. Capitol Police. Due to operational security, we cannot discuss further details regarding the IRF," the National Guard said in a tweet.

"No National Guard members were injured in the incident at the Capitol. Currently, approximately 2,300 National Guard members are in DC supporting local, state, and federal authorities in DC," it added.

The long-term security posture at the Capitol has also become a topic of increasing debate in recent weeks as congressional committees continue to move forward with their investigations into failures around the January 6 attack.

Active U.S. Capital Police Chief Confirms One Officer was Killed

Early reports indicate the suspect is a 25 year old male from Indiana named Noah Green.

Nancy Pelosi has ordered the flags at the Capitol to be flown at half-staff after the confirmed death of the officer.


Join the conversation!

Please share your thoughts about this article below. We value your opinions, and would love to see you add to the discussion!

We Love Trump
Thanks for sharing!
Send this to a friend