Skip to main content
WeLoveTrump.com may receive compensation from affiliate partners for some links on the site. Read our full Disclosure here.

Minneapolis Unanimously Reaches $27 Million Settlement in Case of George Floyd


1,517 views

This is late breaking news.

The Minneapolis city council has unanimously reached a $27 million settlement for the family of George Floyd.

Floyd’s family filed a federal lawsuit against 4 officers involved with the incident that resulted in Floyd’s death.

The case set off months of Black Lives Matter protests and riots around the country, including the White House insurrection and the far-left insurrection at the CHOP / CHAZ zones.

Now, it appears that the case has come to a close.

Settlements typically mean that the case will not go to trial.

The case concerning Officer Chauvin, however, is still expected to continue.

The City of Minneapolis is expected to hold a press conference at any moment.

It is unclear whether or not the family of George Floyd will be present.

This is developing breaking news.

You can watch a livestream of the press conference below:

ABC was one of the first major outlets to break the story:

A $27 million settlement to the family of George Floyd has been unanimously approved by Minneapolis’ City Council.

Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man, died after being arrested on May 25, 2020. Video showed white police officer Derek Chauvin kneeling on the back of Floyd’s neck for more than nine minutes while Floyd repeatedly cried out, “I can’t breathe.”

Attorney Ben Crump said in a statement Friday, “George Floyd’s horrific death, witnessed by millions of people around the world, unleashed a deep longing and undeniable demand for justice and change. That the largest pre-trial settlement in a wrongful death case ever would be for the life of a Black man sends a powerful message that Black lives do matter and police brutality against people of color must end.”

Floyd’s brother, Rodney Floyd, called the settlement “a necessary step for all of us to begin to get some closure.”

“George’s legacy for those who loved him will always be his spirit of optimism that things can get better, and we hope this agreement does just that — that it makes things a little better in Minneapolis and holds up a light for communities around the country,” Rodney Floyd said.

George Floyd’s death sparked protests in Minneapolis and across the nation.

While the city has agreed to come to a settlement with the Floyd family, the case investigating the four officers involved is expected to continue.

It is unclear whether or not this settlement will impact the timing of that case.

Jury selection is currently underway for the case around Derek Chauvin.

Many fear that this announcement could make it difficult to find an impartial jury.

So far, 6 jury members have been selected.

USA Today confirms:

The family of George Floyd has reached a $27 million settlement with the city of Minneapolis in a lawsuit over his death in police custody last May.

The Minneapolis City Council unanimously voted to approve the settlement Friday, and Mayor Jacob Frey was expected to sign it, according to city officials.

The settlement includes $500,000 to be directed to enhance the 38th Street and Chicago Avenue business district where Floyd died, according to the city anda statement from Ben Crump, lead attorney for the family.

“George Floyd’s horrific death, witnessed by millions of people around the world, unleashed a deep longing and undeniable demand for justice and change,” Crump said in a statement Friday. “That the largest pre-trial settlement in a wrongful death case ever would be for the life of a Black man sends a powerful message that Black lives do matter and police brutality against people of color must end.”

[…]

Meanwhile, jury selection was underway Friday in the trial of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin.

NATIONAL POLL: Is CNN The Enemy Of The People?

So far, five of the six jurors selected are men. Three of the jurors identify as white, one as multiracial, one as Hispanic and one as Black, according Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill, who is presiding over the case. All are in their 20s or 30s, according to court records.

Chauvin’s attorneys have struck at least three jurors who are Hispanic throughout the week, something that spurred prosecutors to twice use Batson challenges. Such challenges claim that a potential juror was eliminated on the basis of sex, race, ethnicity or religion. The judge denied both challenges and denied there was any pattern of striking potential jurors on the basis of race.

The United States of America guarantees that you are innocent until proven guilty.

Everyone has a right to legal counsel, a fair hearing, and an impartial jury.

We hope that this announcement does not interfere with the legal proceedings around Officer Chauvin or any of the other officers involved.

May justice be served — but may we also get to the bottom of the truth.



 

Join the conversation!

Please share your thoughts about this article below. We value your opinions, and would love to see you add to the discussion!

We Love Trump
Thanks for sharing!
Send this to a friend