This is strange.
Former Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund has called out House and Senate security officials for preventing the National Guard from coming during the Capitol siege.
Sund told the Washington Post that he requested the National Guard’s presence days before Congress was set to count Electoral College votes but his request was denied.
It’s almost as if, someone wanted the Capitol building to be taken over.
The former chief of U.S. Capitol Police, Steven Sund, told The Washington Post that officials denied or delayed his request for assistance from the National Guard 6 times before and after the Capitol insurrection had already started.https://t.co/zkOqR8DKO8
— NPR (@NPR) January 11, 2021
This @washingtonpost scoop starts to fill in some key details: The Capitol Police Chief wanted to be more proactive about National Guard assistance, but met resistance from both the House and Senate Sergeants-at-Arms—and, as things fell apart, DoD itself:https://t.co/gH21L7b9Mk
— Steve Vladeck (@steve_vladeck) January 11, 2021
The Hill got the scoop and had this to share:
Outgoing Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund accused House and Senate security officials of hindering multiple efforts before and during the Capitol riot to call in the National Guard.
Sund told The Washington Post in an interview published Sunday night – his first since the events at the Capitol Wednesday — that he asked House and Senate security officials in the days before Congress was set to count the Electoral College votes to allow him to request the D.C. National Guard to be on standby in case troops were needed ahead of the pro-Trump protests.
But Sund, who was officially replaced as Capitol Police chief on Friday after his resignation, told the newspaper that the officials denied the request.
NPR got the full scoop and shared these details:
The former chief of U.S. Capitol Police says security officials at the House and Senate rebuffed his early requests to call in the National Guard ahead of a demonstration in support of President Trump that turned into a deadly attack on Congress.
Former chief Steven Sund — who resigned his post last week after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called for him to step down — made the assertions in an interview with The Washington Post published Sunday.
Sund contradicts claims made by officials after Wednesday’s assault on Capitol Hill. Sund’s superiors said previously that the National Guard and other additional security support could have been provided, but no one at the Capitol requested it.
It’s awfully strange everyone involved with protecting the Capitol building, are all resigning and contradicting each other’s statements.