Where is Joe Biden?
Trump’s Democrat rival for the Presidency has been noticeably absent ever since the COVID pandemic hit.
Many think Biden is abusing the pandemic and trying to stay out-of-sight while hoping that the media and Democrats will take care of the dirty work for him.
And many are wondering if Biden will even show up to debate Trump.
Well, according to one Democrat political analyst from CNN, Joe Lockhart, Biden shouldn’t ever get on stage with Trump!
Newsweek has the story on Lockhart’s suggestion:
Democratic strategists and supporters of Vice President Joe Biden are urging him not to debate President Donald Trump in the lead-up to Election Day, citing Trump’s publicity stunts and disregard for the rules in 2016. Meanwhile Biden backers, including some conservatives, applauded the University of Notre Dame and the University of Michigan for cancelling their scheduled debates over COVID-19 concerns.
Former White House Press Secretary Joe Lockhart joined several Democratic Party strategists in bluntly advising Biden, “whatever you do, don’t debate Trump.” Speaking on CNN Saturday, Lockhart said Trump shouldn’t be given another platform which will enable him to “repeat lies,” which he said occurred in the 2016 debates against Hillary Clinton.
The Trump campaign has pushed the other way and urged the nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates, which officially oversees the events, to hold even more debates.
“We saw in the debates in 2016 Hillary Clinton showed a mastery of the issues, every point she made was more honest and bested Trump,” Lockhart told CNN. “But Trump came out of the debates doing better I think because he just kept repeating the same old lies: ‘we’re going to build a wall and Mexico is going to pay for it,’ ‘we’re going to keep all those Mexican rapists out of the country,’ and ‘we’re going to make great trade deals’ — none of these things have come to pass.”
“Giving him that national forum to continue to spout — get him to 21,000 or 22,000 lies — I think just isn’t worth it for the Democrats or for Biden,” Lockhart continued.
Watch Lockhart’s appearance on CNN right here:
This just goes to show how terrified Democrats are of Trump.
They say that Biden shouldn't debate Trump because Trump lies.
But really, they're worried that Trump will obliderate Biden in the debates, just like he did to Hillary Clinton in 2016!
Check out the latest tweets on the hopeful Trump-Biden debates:
You can be sure that with Biden's lack of mental stamina, it would be an absolute bloodbath if he debates Trump!
Here's Lockhart's original op-ed from CNN in which he cautions against debates:
There really are only two types of campaigns. When you have a record to run on, you make it about yourself. And when your record is terrible, you make it about your opponent.
Richard Nixon made it about George McGovern in 1972, just as George Bush made it about Michael Dukakis in 1988. The public health crisis gives Trump few options to make this about Biden.
Compounding that, Trump's pathological desire to make everything about himself and what a great and historic job he is doing, further limits this option.
And for those who are counting on an October surprise to turn the election, the surprise this time is how many people will have voted before we even get to October. The early voting in North Carolina kicks off on September 4, followed by Pennsylvania on September 14, and Michigan on September 19, and at least 10 other states, weeks before the first Presidential debate on September 29.
In 2016 and 2018, about 40% of voters cast ballots early or by mail. That's twice the number from 20 years ago. In the face of the coronavirus pandemic and with many more states now considering mail-in ballots, this trend will likely accelerate.
Given this all of this, it's not irrational to conclude that Trump can't win this election. In fact, I believe he can't. The public does not trust him to handle the problems the country faces, and they are rejecting across the board his vision of America. Nixon won the culture war in 1972. Trump's vision of the US, rooted in 1970's America, is doomed to failure in my opinion.
But the election is not really over for one reason -- Biden can lose this election. He's run a very effective campaign to date, but now we're getting to crunch time as many Americans are just starting to focus on the race. To avoid a Biden loss, I believe he must do the following over the next 99 days.
- Concentrate on turning out core Democratic constituencies. Blacks, women and suburban voters still need to turn out in record numbers to counter the reliable Trump base voters.
- Don't reach and expend resources on states you don't need to get to 271 electoral votes. You don't need Texas to win the presidency. The tidal force of a blue wave may deliver the state as a bonus but concentrate on other battleground states.
- Don't be afraid to be boring. The public is tired of Trump's act. They want competence to replace the reality show. Stick to your own game. Always be the adult in the race.
- Don't take the bait. Trump will goad you with ridiculous and slanderous charges on a daily basis. Use your advertising resources to respond where necessary to Trump, keep your message about what's best for the American people.
- Whatever you do, don't debate Trump. Trump has now made more than 20,000 misleading or false statements according to the Washington Post. It's a fool's errand to enter the ring with someone who can't follow the rules or the truth. Biden will undoubtedly take heat from Republicans and the media for skipping the debates. But it's worth the risk as trying to debate someone incapable of telling the truth is an impossible contest to win.
- Ignore the polls, run like you are 10 points behind. Make sure your supporters don't become complacent by not becoming complacent yourself.