According to new reports, Tehran is planning to sue President Trump and the U.S. military over the killing of Qaessem Soleimani in international crime courts.
Spokesman for the Iran judiciary Gholamhossein Esmaeili said on the matter,
“We intend to file lawsuits in the Islamic Republic, Iraq and The Hague Court (International Court of Justice) against the military and government of America and against Trump.”
Take a look at the breaking news:
Tehran Times has more to say:
Iran’s Judiciary spokesman said on Tuesday that the Islamic Republic will file lawsuits against U.S. President Donald Trump and the U.S. government for the assassination of Lieutenant General Qassem Soleimani, Iran’s top anti-terror commander, in Iraq earlier this month.
“We intend to file lawsuits in the Islamic Republic, Iraq and The Hauge Court (International Court of Justice) against the military and government of America and against Trump,” Gholamhossein Esmaeili said during a press conference, according to Mehr.
“There is no doubt that the U.S. military has done a terrorist act assassinating Guards Commander Lt. Gen. Soleimani and Second-in-Command of Iraq Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis... and Trump has confessed doing the crime.”
“The firmest reason for accusing an individual is his confession,” he added.
“We will initially file a lawsuit in Iran, which is legal under the Islamic Penal Code,” he said.
“Then we will do the same in Iraq and The Hague Court against Trump and the U.S. military,” he added.
Soleimani and al-Muhandis along with eight others were assassinated at Baghdad’s International Airport on January 3. They were targeted in an airstrike at Trump’s order.
The New York Post also detailed:
Tehran plans to sue President Trump, his administration and the US military in the international criminal court over the targeted killing of Iran’s revered Lt. Gen. Qassem Soleimani, according to a report.
“We intend to file lawsuits in the Islamic Republic, Iraq and The Hague Court (International Court of Justice) against the military and government of America and against Trump,” said Gholamhossein Esmaeili, a spokesman for the Iranian judiciary, the Tehran Times reported.
“There is no doubt that US military action was an act of terrorism,” he said. “Trump personally has confessed ordering this criminal act and that is the strongest evidence that a court could have.”
Esmaeili added that the next step in Iran’s tough revenge will involve ending what he described as the illegitimate presence of US forces in the region.